I am a registered sole trader operating as Becca Allen Editorial. I offer manuscript critiques, copyediting and proofreading services directly to authors, as well as working with publishing companies and literary consultancies.
This policy describes how I protect and make use of the information you give me. If you are asked to provide information, it will only be used in ways stated in this policy.
What data do I collect from you?
I collect the following data:
- email address
- any information pertinent to your enquiry, as provided by you
If you become a client, I will also require:
- A contact postal address, for invoicing and tax (HMRC) purposes
- Any material (e.g. your manuscript) you provide in order for me to provide my services
How do I collect your data?
- Website contact form (via WordPress)
- Email (via Outlook.com)
How will I use your data?
- I will use your data to respond to your enquiries and offer possible services.
- If you are a client, I will contact you about your project as needed; after your project is completed, I will not contact you unless necessary and as part of the terms of our agreement (i.e. to follow up on payment if it has not been received after the stated due date).
- I also use your data for my internal accounting processes (e.g. so I can invoice you) and so that I am compliant with HMRC should it request an audit.
- I do not share your personal data with third parties unless I have asked for your permission to do so.
- I will not sell, lease or distribute your personal information to third parties unless I am compelled by law to do so.
How long do I keep your data?
- HMRC requires me to keep records for ‘at least 5 years after the 31 January submission deadline of the relevant tax year’. See ‘How long to keep your records‘.
- Please ask if you want me to delete or amend your records. As long as I’m complying with HMRC’s legal requirements, I’ll action your request immediately.
How is your data stored?
The information I collect is stored on the following data servers: